A versatile and innovative Commercial, Strategy and Marketing Professional, with extensive experience in :
- B2B, B2C, Charities, Online Education, Start-ups, Public Services etc.
- Mobile, converged and broadband telecoms
- Internet and mobile service provision
- Web services and Apps
- Public services; Web /Call Centre
- Travel /Leisure Services; UK /European travel
- Commercial Strategy and Marketing Consulting
Bruce Akhurst BSc, MIoD, MCIM – Biography
Bruce has exceptionally deep and well proven Commercial and Marketing experience gained in a variety of roles spanning Telecoms, Consumer Durables, Travel, Manufacturing, Electrical Retail and Transportation.
He has held Board Director. Director and Head of Department roles in Marketing, Strategy, Commercial and Pricing management from start-ups to £5bn turnovers.
After a classic marketing training at Black & Decker and Thorn EMI Retail and Rental he was a bid team member and founder of the UK’s first consumer oriented mobile network ‘One-2-One’.
Bruce is a Chartered Marketer, a full CIM Member and a Member of the Institute of Directors
Founder of Mobile network One 2 One
At One-2-One he created the first viable ‘boxed mobile’ retail products using his concept of Network-SIM-Subsidy locking (personally defending this at the European Commission!), created and launched the famous free-local-calls pricing offer and developed world leading approaches to traffic management, customer segmentation, pricing, market research and sales channel remuneration that remain in common use today.
He developed many of One2One’s key processes, pricing and proposition initiatives over a 7 year period while leading the annual operating planning cycles for the entire company. For 3 years he also worked as a non-exec on a Sony Ericsson board advisory panel, providing regular input and guidance to their mobile device and touchscreen smartphone developments.
£8.4bn sale and Virgin mobile MVNO
One-2-One grew extremely rapidly into a profitable business worth £8.4bn and Bruce was a key member of the internal team who negotiated its sale to T-Mobile in 1999. That year he also created the concept and negotiated the headline terms for the worlds first MVNO: Virgin Mobile. This innovative JV concept was applauded worldwide and valued at £1bn in the sale.
Executive and Non Executive Director positions, Interim manager roles and consultancy
- Board level Corporate Strategy, Commercial Strategy and Pricing roles at T -Mobile UK and Group, Vodafone and Orange
- Operationally focussed P&L responsible Commercial and Marketing Director roles at Vodafone, Eurostar, National Rail Enquiries, ATOC and South West Trains
- PR spokesman and interviewee on TV and radio news, BBC World at One, MP’s questions, London Standard and Metro (front page main story)
Bruce’s core skills are
- Well grounded yet innovative Commercial, Marketing and Strategic leadership and innovation
- Customer empathy and insights, user experience design and optimisation.
- Providing accurate and clear Strategic Analysis, Insights, Direction, Communication and Thought Leadership
- Traditional and New Media advertising campaigns with a track record genuine results and outstanding (audited) ROI’s
- Organisational planning, transformation and change, troubleshooting and people/process management
- Negotiations, partnering, presentation, and stakeholder skills and the motivation of diverse and matrix teams